Saturday, December 11, 2010

Advent 2: Peace

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
+
Peace can be a misunderstood concept. Many people think peace is merely the absence of strife. If this were the case, peace would not be possible this side of heaven. Peace, in Hebrew, "shalom," has more depth to it than this…

Peace, in a Hebraic concept, has to do with restoring humanity to its "factory setting," as God originally intended. It means, "wholeness," a state of having nothing missing, broken, or wanting. This is far larger that the absence of strife; God‟s declaration of peace is one of the utmost importance as it is His idea, not ours.

There are so many verses in the Bible dealing with peace, however I want to leave you with a few:

"'Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, "Thus you shall bless the people of Israel: you shall say to them, 'The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.'" So shall they put my name upon the people of Israel, and I will bless them.‟" (Num. 6:23-27)

"'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!'" (Luke 2:14)

"And he said to the woman, 'Your faith has saved you; go in peace.'" (Luke 7:50)
"'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.'" (John 14:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment