Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Electronic "disciples"

A good friend of mine has been trying to convince me to get a Twitter account. I decided to start the process today. This got me thinking about the terms used for people in electronic social networks.

In some blogs they are called "subscribers."
On facebook they are called "friends."
On Twitter (and some blogs) they are called "followers."

Aston Kutcher, as of 5:12p CST, on 26 Oct. 2010, has 5,967,996 "followers."

It has caused me to think of who or what I am following. Where am I spending my time? I will confess (and my wife and bosses will confirm) I am, at present, not the most organized person. My focus can shift as I think of tasks that need to be finished, meetings that need to happen, and blog posts which need to be written so I feel like I'm "keeping up with it."

St. Paul wrote "Follow me as I follow Christ."

And, in the words of Little Peggy March, "I Will Follow Him." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment